Psychologist Dr. James Bixler provides a guide to the ethical complexities of mental health diagnosis, examining national ethics codes, concepts of beneficence and nonmaleficence, cultural impacts of diagnosis, and diagnostic effects on culture.
This course guides mental health professionals to address some of the complexities of the current system, helping advance their understanding of this topic and encouraging growth in diagnostic clinical competence. This course will cover:
- What national ethics codes say about diagnostics
- What the concepts of beneficence and nonmaleficence can teach us about diagnostics
- Some of the ethical implications of diagnostics for clients
- How mental health awareness and the modern colloquial are creating some challenges in this area
- The potential benefits of clinically competent diagnostics for clients
- How to shift away from the tendency to label and instead leverage the benefits of diagnostics